Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Benjamin's Stash: Video Pick of the Week

      Hello, readers. Today's segment is a day late. I was watching the NBA Finals last night and as a die-hard Orlando Magic fan, I would love nothing more than the abyss to open up and swallow the Miami Heat and all their bandwagon fans whole... or at least see the Spurs beat them. Naturally, seeing Miami win the way they did, I'm surprised I didn't receive a noise complaint from the cops last night due to the excessive volume and creativity of all the profanity flying out of my mouth... hence this post being a day late. Rant aside, with World War Z opening this week, it seems right to recommend a Brad Pitt film for you. It also should come as no surprise that I'm in a dark, serial killer mood right now for the pick.


      First time I saw this film, that moment with the "sloth" waking up made me shit myself. In Seven aka Se7en, Det. William Somerset (Morgan Freeman) is a homicide detective, soon to be retiring, but not before getting partnered up with the young and hot tempered Det. David Mills (Brad Pitt). Together, the two investigate a series of murders, each relating to one of the "seven deadly sins" (wrath, greed, sloth, pride, lust, envy and gluttony). Using library records, Somerset and Mills are able to track down a man simply known as John Doe, who has frequently been checking out books relating to the deadly sins.

      There's a lot to the story I kept out, particularly involving Dave's wife wonderfully played by Gwyneth Paltrow. Reasons for doing so are that if you haven't seen Seven (It's widely regarded as one of the best films of the 90s, so I'm assuming you have, but I could be wrong), watching it unfold before your eyes for the first time will prove to be a terrifyingly great time. Plus, I gave you the gist of the story anyway. David Fincher is one of the most unique directors around in terms of style and story. Look at his body of work - Zodiac (His best film, in my opinion), Fight Club, The Social Network, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Panic Room, and I could care less if I'm the only defender of Alien 3 on the planet. I loved the vision and vibe he brought to that film. Seven is no different. Both Freeman and Pitt play off each other very well. I've said it before, when isn't Freeman great? That could've backfired even for actors of their caliber considering the back and forth between the laid back cop who has seen it all vs. the hotheaded one who better fasten his seat belt for what he's in store for is definitely a "been there, done that" scenario. Certainly we've seen "whodunit" crime thrillers like this before. Certainly we've seen character profiles like this before. It's director Fincher and writer Andrew Kevin Walker - who captures the mythology behind the sins so well - along with the terrific performances, that elevate what could've been a generic thriller up to greatness. Fincher and Walker are not trying to entertain the viewer like most cheap thrillers would set out to do. They aim to appall the viewer without dwelling excessively on the horrific nature of the crimes like a Hostel film. By the time the ending shows up - and boy, is it a great one - you know they succeeded.

No comments:

Post a Comment