Monday, June 24, 2013

What the Hell Were They Thinking?!

      Hello, readers. This week I'll have my 2013 mid-year recap, giving you my recommendations on what to see in theaters, what to check out on DVD, as well as my top 5 best and worst films of the year so far. Right now, though, it's time for "What the Hell Were They Thinking?!" This week's pick stars a man that has done some great work before, but is definitely no stranger to headlining a steaming pile of crap.


      Jack and Jill stars Adam Sandler as twins Jack and Jill. Jack is a successful advertising executive in Los Angeles. His sister Jill decides to fly over from the Bronx for the Thanksgiving holiday. Since her plane ticket is open ended, and since the filmmakers probably thought the film's viewers would be masochistic enough to wanna sit through an hour more of this, she decides to stay 'til the end of Hanukkah. Hooray for Jack... Hooray for us. While on vacation she meets Al Pacino (playing himself... That was not a typo) at a basketball game. Pacino (No, seriously, it really is him) develops a crush on Jill and makes a proposition with Jack. He'll be willing to do a commercial Jack's company has been dying for Pacino (I know you think I'm still messing with you, but trust me, it really is him!) to do if Jack can set him up with his sister. Oh, boy! A love interest!

      Well, look what we got here. Another film vehicle for Sandler to use that stupid nasally voice that sounds like his noise was smashed in repeatedly. Don't get me wrong. Sandler's done some great work before - Punch-Drunk Love, Spanglish, Funny People (Arguably his best performance, in my opinion), and even Anger Management (mainly due to the back and forth between Sandler and Jack Nicholson). However, more often than not he's done some bad, and I mean really, really, really bad films. I get it. He's got that one stupid voice for about 50 million different characters. Way to mix it up. Seriously, I get it. I got it the first time and it wasn't funny then. Somehow, halfway through the film, Johnny Depp shows up as himself in a cameo scene. Either they gave him a billion dollar salary or he was completely oblivious to the fact that they were filming him. Those are the only two possible scenarios I can run through my head as to why he'd be in this film. Speaking of why the hell are they here, let's get to Al Pacino. I'll give him credit. He gives his all here in this performance... then again it's like pissing in the wind. You'll know exactly what I mean if you see this. Plus, by the end of the film, I started thinking maybe it shouldn't have been Fredo that got shot. Seriously, Al... WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING HERE IN THIS MOVIE?! The most awkward moment though is near the end when Jack and Jill have their "moment" and make up. They do this weird "goo-goo, ga-ga" gibberish language that's apparently their twin talk. It tries to be all heartfelt and sentimental... then you realize it's just Sandler basically talking drunk with... well, himself. Also, if you think you're hallucinating by the time Pacino shows up in the scene dressed as the Man of La Mancha... Yeah, you're not. I started thinking I was, but then I realized I was 100% sober. For this segment, you normally will not be seeing comedies here. For the most part, if a comedy is bad it's 'cause it's not funny. Most of the films you've seen in these segments are at least unintentionally funny. I mean, what other reason would I recommend you sit through a garbage film? I'm gonna make this a rare exception 'cause this film is so bad, and is easily Sandler's worst film - and it was going up against some pretty strong competition, mind you - you really have to witness this train wreck for yourselves. I sat there thinking how the hell could any studio head have thought to themselves, "... Hmm... Yeah, it seems like a good movie. Here's a shit ton of money!" Although I didn't have to pay to see this movie since I watched it on the Starz Channel, that still didn't stop me from contemplating whether I should call AT&T and demand to be comped. During the end credits, the film has footage of various real-life twin siblings sharing life stories. I was kinda hoping at least one of them would man up and say, "This film makes me regret not swallowing my other half whole in the womb, 'cause I don't think I could ever feel more ashamed to be a twin right now." At the very least, you can watch Al Pacino and run the sage Proverb of King David lamenting over the death of his predecessor through your head. "How the mighty have fallen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment